Focus on Others!
“Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” H. Jackson Browne Jr.
1. Raise Awareness for Youth Homelessness by organizing a student-sleep out through our partner Covenant House International: The Sleep-Out: Student Edition
2. Write a letter to our Troops: Show the men and women in our armed forces that you care by writing them a letter thanking them: A Million Thanks – Send Troops A Letter
3. Serve dinner at a homeless shelter: Volunteer at a local homeless shelter to prepare and dish up a meal for those without a home this holiday. Find a local shelter at: National Homeless Shelter Directory
4. Collect food for your local Food Bank: Find a local Food Pantry at: National Food Bank Locator
5. Deliver a hot meal to those who aren’t able through a local Meals on Wheels program. Find a local Meals On Wheels Program at: Meals On Wheels Program Locator
6. Invite a Neighbor or Classmate: Perhaps you know someone who may be alone and in need of some company. Invite them to have dinner with your family. You can bring sunshine to someone’s life through acts of kindness.
7. Take Dishes to Public Service People: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day are just another workday for our public service people. Take a few dishes to the local fire station or police department for the people on duty.
8. Visit a Retirement Home: Elderly people often spend the holidays without their family, especially if their kids live far away. Help ease their loneliness by visiting them and spreading the holiday cheer.
9. Volunteer at a Local Animal Shelter. Find a shelter near you by entering your zip code: ASPCA Find a Shelter
10. Volunteer at a hospital. Hospitals are always looking for volunteers to help with a variety of jobs. You may be responsible for greeting people as they come in, bringing flowers or gifts up to patients or simply spending time with people who have been in the hospital for long periods of time. If you’re interested in volunteering at a hospital, contact your local hospitals and ask if they’re accepting volunteers.Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more. #GiveBack Click To Tweet