If you are having depression and suicidal thoughts, we are glad you are here. You are not alone. We care. You can get through this.
5 important tips for RIGHT NOW if you are having suicidal thoughts.
- Remember: suicide is preventable. You can get through these intense feelings, and help is available.
- Reach out. Below is a list of suicide prevention services, including 24/7 suicide prevention hotlines.
- Don’t make any important decisions in this moment, especially deciding to die.
- Stop drugs and alcohol.
- Make your home safe and refer to/create a safety plan.
- DO something. (Helpful resources for ideas below. Different things work for different people.)”
Suicide Prevention Crisis Lines
- National Suicide Prevention LifeLine – 24/7.
- Chat on-line – National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Call 1-800-273-8255.
- Text Line 24/7 – text “START” to 741-741 or visit Crisis Text Line
- Hard of hearing. Contact the Lifeline via TTY by dialing 800-799-4889.
- Spanish Crisis LifeLine, call 888-628-9454 or visit Help in Spanish
- List of crisis centers around the world – International Association for Suicide Prevention
- Veterans Crisis Line – for veterans and families.
- A Safe Space – What do you need right now? Connection, Coping Tools, Distraction?
- Now Matters Now – Skills and Support for Coping with Suicidal Thoughts shared through videos.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention – Help, Stories, Facts, Local Chapters, Survivors of Suicide Loss
- SAVE (Suicide Awareness Voices of Education) – Education, Awareness and Training
- TheHopeLine Help for Suicidal Thoughts – Podcasts, blogs, stories, videos, resources and more
- ThePrayerZone – Have people pray for you and your situation
Reach Out – From TheHopeLine – 1 minute
YOU MATTER. – From TheHopeLine – 1 minute
Relax, Focus, Breath – from Mindful Breathing – 5 minutes
Helpful Free Aps:
- Virtual HopeBox – Distract w/ games, Relax with Guided Meditation, Inspiring Quotes, Customize Coping Cards. Download on Apple or Google Play
- Breath 2 Relax – Guided Breathing Exercises. Download on Apple or Google Play
- TheHopeLine – Live Chat every evening, inspiration and resources. Download on Apple or Google Play.
- Why Say No To Suicide
- What to do When You Feel Suicidal
- 7 Life Lessons from a Suicide Survivor
- How to Help a Suicidal Friend
- Why Do People End Their Life by Suicide
- Giving Life Another Chance
- Misconceptions on Professional Counseling
- More Articles