How Can I Be an Amazing Friend?
Friendship is one of the best gifts life has to offer. Being a great friend means making an effort to show your friends you care.
I never thought I would write an article on being a great friend. But I am amazed how many people reach out to TheHopeLine who down deep are lonely and need a good friend. The fact of the matter is we are all wired for meaningful relationships. Studies show if you have good friends throughout your life, you will live longer.
There is a lot of truth behind the common saying, In order to have a great friend, you must first be one. I hope to help you gain some insight on how to be a great friend.
Being an enthusiastic listener, spending quality time, and sending encouraging cards or gifts; all these can go a long way toward strengthening a friendship. If your friend is going through a tough time, offer support. If you're not sure what to do, or if you feel they need more help than you can offer, there are support organizations, mentors, and counselors your friend can get connected with.
Friendship also involves learning how to set and keep healthy boundaries. None of us can be everything or do everything, even for the people we're closest to. It's okay to ask for alone time, or to not answer calls or texts immediately. You should also let your friend know what you need, when you are hurting, and how they can help if you are going through a difficult time. Strong friendship is a two-way street, where there is a healthy give and take between you.
If you're struggling with making friends or resolving conflicts in a friendship, it may help to find support from someone you trust, or to get help from a mentor or counselor.
So, how can you learn to be a great friend? What does it take?
Here are some qualities of a great friend. As you learn how to be a good friend, in turn, you'll be teaching your friends how to become better ones.
Here are 9 Ways You Can Become a Great Friend:
1. Be real. People are turned off by those who are constantly trying to be someone they are not. We are most comfortable around others who are comfortable in their own skin. So just be yourself. Even though you aren't perfect, the way you handle your strengths and faults with humility and confidence will give other people permission to be real and relaxed with you, as well. Real friends are relaxed around each other.
2. Be honest. Keep your promises and do what you say you're going to do. Be reliable. Nobody wants to be friends with someone who lies. And lies always have a way of coming to the light. Also, friends will say the truth to one another, even when it's hard. The wisest man in the Bible, King Solomon, said: Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
Shannon got caught up in an eating disorder until her friend called her out: I was addicted to being skinny and looking absolutely perfect. I never really understood what I was actually doing to myself until a good friend of mine talked to me about it.
3. Take an interest in the details of your friend's life by being a good listener. Don't watch television or text while your friend is sharing something with you. Most times people need more than good advice, they need someone to listen to them as they talk through their feelings. Ask them what's going on in their life and how they feel.
Mari commented: Kyler is my best friend because he listens. No matter what is going on he is genuinely interested in how I am. He always has my back and would drop everything if I needed him.
4. Make time for your friend. Time is one of the greatest gifts we possess. When we share extra time with a friend, we are giving back to them that gift. No friendship can develop overnight. It takes time. A real friend will take that time.
5. Keep their secrets. Prove yourself to be a trustworthy person who will guard their secrets with your life. A good way to prove you are trustworthy is to be free to share some of your own secrets with your friend. King Solomon also said: Friends come and friends go, but a true friend sticks by you like family. Are you willing to be a friend like that?
6. Encourage your friend. Everyone needs encouragement. Find specific ways to encourage your friend. Even in the depths of their struggles, show them what you see to be special about them and be willing to pick them up when they are depressed or feel like life is pressing in on them from all sides.
7. Be loyal to your friend. This is unconditional acceptance, even when your friend makes a mistake or really screws up. Be there when they are experiencing their highest highs and their lowest lows. Laugh with them, cry with them, don't just talk about always being there. Prove it in your everyday life! Delaney wrote to me and said: I have great friends who are always there for me and always know how to make me happy.
8. Be willing to work through conflict. Every relationship will hit a speed bump at one time or another. Show your friend you are willing to work through the difficult times of misunderstandings and hurt feelings. Sometimes friendships grow stronger through the difficult times. Don't give up on your friend just because you are having difficulties.
9. Watch out for your friend. When you see your friend getting into a dangerous situation whether it's with drugs or alcohol, or maybe even a destructive relationship, be bold enough to step in and protect your friend from the harm you see coming their way. Narda commented: My best friend is more than a best friend, she's more like a sister. And she feels that same way. We both have each other back, now and forever.
It takes a lot of work and commitment to be a great friend. But it is worth it. Keep in mind there are people all around you who are looking for friends. So, continue developing good friends and your life will be far better for it.
Making friends can be a very difficult task for some. Are you having a hard time making friends? Here are 4 steps to help you make friends.
Hey I have got a work mate who is younger than me I'm 25 he is 21 and I'm married he is getting married soon he struggling alot as he lives by him self he has got family in back home I feel him to be honest and wanted to be his best friend cos I love his company but he doesn't give much time
I need help what I should to do I lost my beat friend I never talk to them hurt them so much we are not be friend with me anymore I lost my relationship I don't wanna drama queen I feel like third wheel and lift out I don't like that Yesenia is right thing she is my friend been 3 years what's wrong with me I feel alone
thank you but i was mean to my friend
Nice information. Thanks for sharing the article in the blog.
Thank you very much. And good job. I am defenetly the luckiest to have a true friend like her! We're both so satisfied! And we text almost every night. I didn't find her easily! So I'll try my bests to keep her! I thought I made her mad, but she said she undrestood me. She undrestood that words,I told her,were just because of the pressure wich was on me!
I appologized her!
I love her!
I love you Nassy!
Realy fortunate to have her next to me!
I'll keep her and take care of her till the rest of my life!
I really appricate her!
I've changed alot!
I learned alot from her!
She was my teacher first..and now she still is!
The sweetest teacher that became my.bestie!
pressure which was on me!
I appologized her..and so happy to have her next to me!
She gets jealous when ever am with some school mates whom I know
She never showed interest in my school work
All she does is to Brag about her self and Gossiping
She doesn't respect my privacy
I dont know if I should keep her as a friend.?
I've known her for a year and 9 months from now
I would try and get in touch with her more and if she doesn’t want to be your friend anymore just let it go. There is a good chance there are other people who would want to be your friend anyways.